This message is geared toward students interested in auditioning into Wind Ensemble. This year’s audition process is going to be a little different to say the least. There will be two options for a live audition process:
- Option A – Live audition under the covered porch at the church next to SHS.
- Option B – Live audition via Google Meet
Please pick the audition option that works best for you and your family. There is no advantage to either the in person or online option. Do what is best for you.
The live audition will take place under one of the covered porches at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (adjacent to high school) located at 17234 SW Meinecke Rd, Sherwood, OR 97140.
Auditions will take place on May 12 and 14 from 1:00-3:00. Each audition will be roughly 8-10 minutes in duration. However, we will be scheduling auditions at 12 minute intervals to allow for transitions.
On audition day, the audition process will work as following:
- Warmup at your house.
- Show up to the audition site a couple of minutes in advance of your audition time.
- Stay in your car until the other person has finished auditioning and has left the performing area. When the person who auditions before you has gotten into their car (or left the area) you may enter the audition space.
- Leave at least 10’ of space at all times when moving around the audition site.
- Stai will be setup approx. 20’ away from you.
- Please bring a portable music stand to use for the audition. If you do not have one, there will be a music stand provided for you. If your instrument absolutely needs a chair to play (Tuba, Bassoon) there will be one there for you to use under a small covered area by the main entrance (Mr. Stai will sanitize everything used with Lysol in between each use).
- Play a few notes/long tones to rewarm once you are settled. Once you are ready, audition will begin. Auditions will last approx. 8-10 minutes (not to exceed 10 minutes).
- BRASS PLAYERS – Do not empty condensation (spit valves) onto walking spaces or anywhere near the performing space. We can allow time in between pieces for you to empty condensation somewhere more safe, like into a bush or area where no one will be walking).
- Percussionists – Bring Sticks & Pads to audition with. If this is an issue, let me know and we will work something out.
Mr. Stai will schedule you for a google meet audition on May 11 between 1:00-4:00. If we have more auditionees than fit into that window of time, we will expand the audition window of time.
For the Google Meet audition, there will be Mr. Stai and either another teacher or administrator online. Parents are welcome to observe the audition as well. Mr. Stai will send you a Google Meet link for your audition time. Each audition will be roughly 8-10 minutes in duration. However, we will be scheduling auditions at 12 minute intervals to allow for transitions.
To sign up for audition times, email Mr. Stai letting him know which option you’d prefer. I am going to fill the times so that there are no breaks/spaces in the schedule. I will send out a final audition schedule with dates and times on Thursday, May 7th.
- WW & Brass
- Start with Major Scales (WW & Brass) – Play through as many as you can in a minute.
- Play through audition material in order (ex: Track 1, Track 2, Track 3)
- Email a video of you playing your 12 major scales. If this is a problem, let me know.
- Email a video of you playing your mallet etude. If this is a problem, let me know.
- In person, play your snare material at the audition.
- Do not worry about the timpani material.
- Understand that Mr. Stai is your biggest cheerleader. He wants you to do well.
- What determines your eligibility?
- Openings based on your instrument
- Instrument Balance
- Your Musical Ability
- Work Ethic
- Auditions will most likely last anywhere from 8-10 minutes, including restarts. Don’t restart and stop too much so that you can play more music.
- Don’t get discouraged. A lot of auditions will result in the words “not yet”. Do not audition if you can’t take no for an answer. Instead, start working toward the following year’s audition.