The Wind Ensemble performs the most advanced wind band literature and performs at various contests and festivals throughout the winter and spring. Students who participate in the Wind Ensemble must love music and be devoted to practicing. The Wind Ensemble has extra sectional/full ensemble rehearsals throughout the course of the year. Wind Ensemble positions are auditioned in the spring of each year.
The Following Wind Ensemble Curriculum Documents can be found in Canvas
- SHS Band Handbook 2020-2021
- Performance Dates 2020-2021
- Recommended Equipment
Wind Ensemble Auditions for 2022-2023
Greetings Everyone, Below is information for those wanting to audition into our Wind Ensemble for the 2022-2023 school year.
Audition materials for Wind Ensemble are below.
Auditions will be done in person April 26-28. Please sign up for an audition spot in the band room.
Wind Ensemble members do not have to re-audition to stay in Wind Ensemble unless they want to switch instruments.
Concert Band members do not have to re-audition to stay in Concert Band.
Bowmen Band members will automatically be placed into Concert Band for the next school year.
Wind Ensemble Auditions 2022-2023
- Please Read – Wind Ensemble Auditions Info
- Please Read – Wind Ensemble Expectations
- Please Fill Out This Google Form
- You need to find your own scales sheet to use for Major and Chromatic Scales. Practice the Audition Music that is listed by instrument is below:
- Bass Clarinet
- Alto/Bari Saxophone
- Tenor Saxophone
- Tuba (+Bass)
- Piano – For a piano audition, please come talk to Mr. Stai.
Sherwood High School Band Proficiencies
Sherwood High School Band Proficiencies are playing tests graded using the proficiency playing test rubrics. Each band has been assigned a developmentally appropriate & achievable sequence. Each proficiency is to be turned in electronically via email to Mr. Stai by 7am on the designated due date. Email Proficiencies to: email@example.com
Subject Heading Must Include: Your Name, Proficiency Number (Example: Miles Davis, Proficiency #1)
October 1 October 22 November 13 December 10 January 14 February 6* March 4 – (Solo & Ensemble Recital Recording) April 8 April 22 (Concert & Bowmen Bands Only) May 13 (Concert & Bowmen Bands Only)
Wind Ensemble Sectional Plan – Start January 2022
- One Section Rehearsal per week.
- Inform Mr. Stai when & where the sectional will be happening.
- Work 1-3 things
- Work Pitch & Tuning
- Extra Rehearsals (In place of Sectional) – Tuesdays (Fridays, Mondays, Thursdays)
- Running a Sectional
- Lead chair comes up with musical agenda & leads rehearsal.
- Section members should give input to musical agenda prior to section rehearsal.
- Respect all voices in section rehearsal.
- Minimize talking & maximize playing.
Section Rehearsal Instrument Groupings
- Low Reeds – Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax
- Alto Saxophones