Thank you for all who auditioned. Regardless of what happens, everyone has the opportunity to make beautiful music, memorable performances, and be a positive influence regardless of the band they are in or the chair order in which they sit.
Save the Date – W.E. to Carnegie in 2021
In 2021 the Sherwood High School Wind Ensemble will be traveling to New York to participate in the 19th Annual New York Wind Band Festival. The festival takes place in Carnegie Hall and is by application only. Those wishing to participate must submit recordings of their program over the past year and must be of high quality in order to be accepted. It is my privilege to announce that our Wind Ensemble has been accepted for the 2021 festival! Only a handful of high school groups are allowed into this annual festival which includes performance, workshops, and sightseeing in New York. Estimated cost per student will be $1200 at most. Dates are February 28-March 4, 2021.
The Wind Ensemble performs the most advanced wind band literature and performs at various contests and festivals throughout the winter and spring. Students who participate in the Wind Ensemble must love music and be devoted to practicing. The Wind Ensemble has extra sectional/full ensemble rehearsals throughout the course of the year. Wind Ensemble positions are auditioned in the spring of each year.
Wind Ensemble Curriculum Documents
- SHS Band Handbook 2019-2020
- Performance Dates 2019-2020 – Concert & Jazz Bands
- Wind Ensemble Percussion – Proficiency List 2019-2020
- Wind Ensemble WW & Brass – Proficiency List 2019-2020
Sherwood High School Band Proficiencies
Sherwood High School Band Proficiencies are playing tests graded using the proficiency playing test rubrics. Each band has been assigned a developmentally appropriate & achievable sequence. Each proficiency is to be turned in electronically via email to Mr. Stai by 7am on the designated due date.
Email Proficiencies to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Heading Must Include: Your Name, Proficiency Number (Example: Miles Davis, Proficiency #1)
- October 1
- October 22
- November 13
- December 10
- January 14
- February 6*
- March 4 – (Solo & Ensemble Recital Recording)
- April 8
- April 22 (Concert & Bowmen Bands Only)
- May 13 (Concert & Bowmen Bands Only)
Wind Ensemble Sectional Plan – Start November 2019
- One Section Rehearsal per week.
- Inform Mr. Stai when & where the sectional will be happening.
- Work 1-3 things
- Work Pitch & Tuning
- Extra Rehearsals (In place of Sectional) – Tuesdays (Fridays, Mondays, Thursdays)
- Running a Sectional
- Lead chair comes up with musical agenda & leads rehearsal.
- Section members should give input to musical agenda prior to section rehearsal.
- Respect all voices in section rehearsal.
- Minimize talking & maximize playing.
Section Rehearsal Instrument Groupings
- Low Reeds – Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax
- Alto Saxophones
Wind Ensemble Auditions 2020-2021