The Wind Ensemble performs the most advanced wind band literature and performs at various contests and festivals throughout the winter and spring. Students who participate in the Wind Ensemble must love music and be devoted to practicing. The Wind Ensemble has extra sectional/full ensemble rehearsals throughout the course of the year. Wind Ensemble positions are auditioned in the spring of each year.
Wind Ensemble Curriculum Documents
- Wind Ensemble Distance Learning Syllabus 2020-2021
- SHS Band Handbook 2020-2021
- Performance Dates 2020-2021 – TBD
Wind Ensemble Auditions for 2021-2022
Greetings Everyone, Below is information for those wanting to audition into our Wind Ensemble for the 2021-2022 school year.
Audition materials for Wind Ensemble are below. These materials are also located on the Wind Ensemble page. Auditions will be due to Mr. Stai by Monday, May 3.
Auditions will be done via video submission to Mr. Stai via email. Auditions will be due to Mr. Stai by Monday, May 3. A student may perform an audition in person upon request.
Wind Ensemble members do not have to re-audition to stay in Wind Ensemble unless they want to switch instruments.
Concert Band members do not have to re-audition to stay in Concert Band.
Bowmen Band members will automatically be placed into Concert Band for the next school year.
Wind Ensemble Auditions 2021-2022
- Please Read – Wind Ensemble Auditions Info
- Please Read – Wind Ensemble Expectations
- Please Fill Out This Google Form
- Practice the Audition Music that is listed by instrument is below (let Mr. Stai know if you need a hard copy and he will print one and leave it at the front office for pickup):
- Bass Clarinet
- Alto/Tenor Saxophone
- Bari Saxophone
- Tuba (+Bass)
Sherwood High School Band Proficiencies
Sherwood High School Band Proficiencies are playing tests graded using the proficiency playing test rubrics. Each band has been assigned a developmentally appropriate & achievable sequence. Each proficiency is to be turned in electronically via email to Mr. Stai by 7am on the designated due date. Email Proficiencies to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Heading Must Include: Your Name, Proficiency Number (Example: Miles Davis, Proficiency #1)
October 1 October 22 November 13 December 10 January 14 February 6* March 4 – (Solo & Ensemble Recital Recording) April 8 April 22 (Concert & Bowmen Bands Only) May 13 (Concert & Bowmen Bands Only)
Wind Ensemble Sectional Plan – Start November 2019
- One Section Rehearsal per week.
- Inform Mr. Stai when & where the sectional will be happening.
- Work 1-3 things
- Work Pitch & Tuning
- Extra Rehearsals (In place of Sectional) – Tuesdays (Fridays, Mondays, Thursdays)
- Running a Sectional
- Lead chair comes up with musical agenda & leads rehearsal.
- Section members should give input to musical agenda prior to section rehearsal.
- Respect all voices in section rehearsal.
- Minimize talking & maximize playing.
Section Rehearsal Instrument Groupings
- Low Reeds – Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax
- Alto Saxophones