On Tuesday, February 6th Mountainside High School – along with Dr. Carol Smith – will be hosting a master class event for local trumpet, clarinet, flute, and trombone students who are preparing for their district solo contests.
Please share this event with your students and encourage them to participate in this FREE master class!
Our clinicians for the event include
- Jeff Work, principal trumpet for the Oregon Symphony and Fred Sautter, retired principal trumpet for the Oregon Symphony
- Dr. Barbara Heilmair, clarinet professor at Portland State University
- Dr. Sydey Carlson, flute professor at Portland State University
- Dr. Ron Babcock, trombone professor at Portland State University.
This event has been an awesome opportunity for students to perform their solo repertoire in front of an audience and get invaluable feedback from outstanding musicians and performers. Many local teachers have also found benefit from hearing the feedback provided by our clinicians.
This event is FREE, both for performers and for audience members. Please encourage your students to participate and/or attend as audience members.
It will be held at Mountainside High School’s beautiful performing arts department on Tuesday, February 6th starting at 7pm.
Do you have any students who would be interested in performing? Students who are interested in performing should contact Dr. Carol Smith and firstname.lastname@example.org and provide her with the following information:
- The student’s name
- The title and composer of their performance piece
- The accompanist’s name
- The name of the student’s private lesson teacher, if applicable
- The student’s school
All high school-age students are welcome to participate!
Swingin’ with Spaghetti – Saturday, January 27th
- Dinner Tickets $15
- Raffle Tickets $10 – Samsung 55” UHD Smart TV
All Band Members are involved either as a server or as a performer.
Dear Students & Parents – We have 4 focal points regarding our concert bands as we move into January:
- Basketball Band Music & Performances
- Solo & Ensemble Music, Recital, and District Festival
- Festival Music – March & April Performances
- Disneyland Repertoire Preparation
“Mom & Dad, I don’t have anything to practice right now.” – This is a phrase that you will not hear out of a Sherwood Band student’s mouth.
Practice your proficiencies, Practice your Basketball Music (Remember you have a Basketball Band Binder Assignment Due on January 3rd!), Practice your Solo & Ensemble music, Practice Festival Music.
Next Proficiency Due January 16th.
Basketball Band – We have 12 games the band is performing at during the basket ball season. Remember that you must attend 6 games (Yes, you are more than welcome to attend more than 6 if you would like to).
Solo & Ensemble Recital – This week we have started talking about Solo & Ensemble in class. All students are expected to find a 3-5 minute piece of music to perform as a soloist or as a small ensemble (Duet, Trio, Quartet, etc.). We have a ton of literature here in the Sherwood Band Room to select from. We then put on a recital night on Thursday, March 1st as a band program. We will have approx. 5-6 rooms running with performances throughout the course of the evening.
Students actively engaged in lessons most likely already have their literature selected, and it is most likely in the ballpark of 5-7.5 minutes in duration.
Anyone who has gone through this process will testify that you grow exponentially as a musician when you prepare and perform a solo or ensemble piece of music. It is a priceless experience for our young musicians who are looking for a challenge and to push themselves beyond the average day of music class.
Soloists who are looking for Piano Accompanists:
Basketball Band Binder 15 point Assignment – Due January 3rd – All Music must be organized in alphabetical order in plastic sheets.
- National Anthem
- Sherwood HS Fight Song – New Colonial March
- SMB Stands Tunes 2017 – Wind Parts Only
- 24K Magic
- Can’t Stop the Feeling
- Don’t Stop Believin’
- The Greatest
- Hooked on a Feeling (Basketball Only)
- I Want You Back (Basketball Only)
- Runaway Baby (Basketball Only)
- Stadium Jams 6 (#1 & #3 Only)
- Take on Me
- Uptown Funk