What to expect when you walk in through the GYM/PAC doors tonight
- Info Table for any questions you might have.
- Same Final Program as listed above printed for your convenience.
- Signs indicating where performances are located.
- 6 Separate Performing Spaces (Auditorium, Choir Room, Main Gym, Commons Classroom, E11, E13).
- Please do not talk outside of performing spaces. This is the most challenging request I will ask of everyone today.
- Only enter and exit once a performance has completed. Never transition during a performance.
- We will start performances promptly at 6pm
- Each room/performance space will have a life of its own regarding personality and pacing.
- Students are 100% responsible for the music they are taking on tonight. They chose the level of complexity and have applied all of the craftsmanship.
- Student Expectations: Setup Crew OR Cleanup Crew, Warmup, Performance, Listening to at least 5 others.
- Grade: This is a participation grade. Take care of business and you earn 100%. I am not grading each individual performance (there are 126 tonight!).
- Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG): Through total student ownership of the Solo & Ensemble Recital Night process, each student will grow musically and independently.
- Mistakes will happen tonight, some big and some small, and that is a part of our learning process. Mistakes are ok!
Posted below is the original Recital Night Info that went out…
Students & Parents, our Solo & Ensemble Recital is Thursday, March 2nd at SHS at 6:00pm. All Bowmen Band, Concert Band, and Wind Ensemble members will be performing a solo or an ensemble piece at this recital. This will be a major event as we have 125 performances throughout the course of the evening! We will have performances happening simultaneously in six separate spaces: 1) PAC, 2) Choir Room, 3) Commons Classroom, 4) Gym, 5) Classroom E11, and 6) Classroom E13.
Students are responsible for:
- Knowing Their Performance Location & Order.
- Communicating performance location & order to parents.
- Warming up prior to performance in the band room.
- Listening to at least 5 other SHS solo or ensemble performances.
- Wearing Concert Attire.
- Practicing & preparing their music to a high level so that it is enjoyable for the audience members.
Parents – It will be a great evening with lots of student-prepared music. CHECK WITH YOUR STUDENT SO YOU KNOW WHAT ROOM THEY ARE PERFORMING IN & WHAT ORDER THEY ARE PERFORMING. Each performance length is different; some students have 3-minute performances, others go as long as 8 minutes. Good advice would be to check in with your performance area early to see where they are at on the schedule. There will be performance orders and numbers posted outside each room indicating which musician(s) is/are currently performing.
PLEASE DO NOT THINK OF THIS AS A TRADITIONAL CONCERT. THINK OF THIS AS MORE OF A MUSICAL ART GALLERY. You are allowed to sample from room to room and come and go at an appropriate time that works for your schedule. Please enter and exit performing spaces only during transitions. It will still be a formal performance setting, just more along the lines of a true Solo & Ensemble Festival.
FYI – The Gym will probably be in performance until approx 9:00pm.