For Anyone New to SHS Band – “The Band Recital Night is a Band Concert… sort of.”
Students & Parents, our Solo & Ensemble Recital is Wednesday, February 23rd at SHS at 6:00pm. All Bowmen Band, Concert Band, and Wind Ensemble members will be performing a solo or an ensemble piece at this recital. This will be a major event as we have around 60 performances throughout the course of the evening! We will have performances happening simultaneously in three separate spaces throughout Sherwood High School: 1) Band Room, 2) Auditorium, 3) Choir Room
Students are responsible for:
- Knowing Their Performance Location & Order.
- Communicating performance location & order to parents.
- Get your instrument and music out of the Band Room (Percussion Performance Space) prior to 6pm.
- Brass Store Cases in Drama Room
- WW Store Cases in Commons
- Warming up prior to performance in designated warm up areas.
- Areas: Drama Room (Brass), Commons (WW), Practice Rooms (Soloists w/Accompanists).
- Keep warmup brief and on soft side due to sound bleeding into Band, Choir, Auditorium spaces (sound travels incredibly well in this building). If a longer warmup is needed, a good idea would be to do a more extended warmup before showing up.
- Listening to at least 5 other SHS solo or ensemble performances throughout the evening.
- Wearing Concert Attire.
- Practicing & preparing their music to a high level so that it is enjoyable for the audience members.
Enter through Commons, not the Band Room. The Band Room will be a performance space.
Parents – It will be a great evening with lots of student-prepared music. CHECK WITH YOUR STUDENT SO YOU KNOW WHAT ROOM THEY ARE PERFORMING IN & WHAT ORDER THEY ARE PERFORMING. Each performance length is different; some students have 3 minute performances, others go as long as 9 minutes. Good advice would be to check in with your performance area early to see where they are at on the schedule. There will be performance orders and numbers posted outside each room indicating which musician(s) is/are currently performing.
PLEASE DO NOT THINK OF THIS AS A TRADITIONAL CONCERT. THINK OF THIS AS MORE OF A MUSICAL ART GALLERY. You are allowed to sample from room to room and come and go at an appropriate time that works for your schedule. Please enter and exit performing spaces only during transitions. It will still be a formal performance setting, just more along the lines of a true Solo & Ensemble Festival.
Our Performance Order Schedule is not yet solidified. I will make it available by Thursday, February 17.