This is an annual festival offered to HS band students in our area. Students are encouraged to prepare either a solo piece with accompaniment or to participate in a small ensemble (duet, trio, etc.) and perform in front of a small audience and adjudicator. This adjudicator writes comments in regards to the quality of performance and also gives constructive feedback for our students. Anyone who has gone through this process will testify that you grow exponentially as a musician when you prepare and perform a solo piece of music. The performing experience coupled with the constructive feedback of a professional adjudicator is a priceless experience for our young musicians who are looking for a challenge and to push themselves beyond the average day of music class. Students who place at the top of their instrument will go on to perform at the OSAA state solo contest.
Wind Ensemble members are expected to participate in this event. I would encourage Concert or Bowmen Band members to consider participating with a performance as well or consider attending and listening (It would be like going to a track meet and rooting for participants from your school).
OMEA Solo & Ensemble Participants – Sign up with Mr. Stai this week. Come to my office and we’ll get it set up together.
- Name(s) performing in solo or ensemble
- Category (Ex: Flute Solo, Brass Ensemble, Percussion Duet, etc.)
- Accompanist Name (if using accompanist)
- Money – Each solo costs $13 or each small ensemble costs a total of $13. Payments will be assigned and made through ParentVue. Please pay this fee at your convenience once assigned.
- Individual Solo – $13
- Small Ensemble – $13 per ensemble. Ensembles, please have ONE person pay (other members can reimburse the person paying; i.e. each duet member would contribute $6.50, or each trio member would contribute $4.50, etc.).
- Scheduling preferences – Mr. Stai is not able to negotiate scheduling preferences.
Help get people involved in this great activity! Our band program grows exponentially when our musicians participate in solo & ensemble!